Thursday, July 12, 2007

When autism doesn't suck

We had an appointment today with Evan's Behavioral and Developmental Pediatrician, Dr. Daniel Kessler, because that's the kind of appointment you have every couple of months when your kid has autism.

What's cool is that we love Dr. Kessler. Evan loves him. Matt loves him. I love him. Bennett begged not to be left behind at Grandma's one day when we had an appointment, so I'm assuming he loves him. I think maybe even Bella loves him, but that might be a stretch.

Anyway, Dr. Kessler is everything a doctor should be, especially a pediatric doctor. He's incredibly patient. He's down to earth. He listens. He shows great respect for Evan and yet expects the same respect back. He's a little bit silly. He even looks a little bit silly, in an Einstein sort of way.


I think you see what I mean.

And I believe he really cares. I felt that almost five years ago during our first visit when we were scared and confused and didn't understand what was happening to our little boy. And I felt it during today's visit when we were proud and joyful and still don't always understand our little boy.

Today's was one of the rare visits to Dr. Kessler where we could go in with smiles on our faces and brag about how amazing Evan is doing, how his teacher and aide and special ed teacher ADORED him by the end of 2nd grade, how he's showing empathy and manners and emotional control in ways that we never could have imagined a few years ago, how he voluntarily tried new foods recently (okay, they were Easy Mac and blueberry pie, but you take what you can get).


Sometimes being the parent of a child with an Autism Spectrum Disorder means too many moments of concern and disappointment and exhaustion and worry and "what if?" - and not enough moments of celebration. So today, I celebrate my amazing son, Evan, and all that he has overcome and accomplished during the last 5 years. And I celebrate his amazing Behavioral and Developmental Pediatrician, Dr. Kessler, who has helped all of us on the journey. Thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to agree with you. My son is also on the spectrum and we have Dr. Kessler as well. We feel so blessed to have him - he's so fantastic! SO very patient and caring and fun, and...well...you get the picture! He's the perfect professional to guide you through the sometimes bumpy roads of autism and celebrate along the way!! Thanks for the great words...there is no better pediatrician! I just saw him at the Walk Now for Autism this weekend. What a sign of support!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.