Monday, July 16, 2007

Coming out of the (romance) closet

Because they are both such a big part of our lives, you will get your fill of books and music when you come to visit our little blog. I love to read almost as much as Matt loves to find cool, obscure bands or humble you (in the nicest possible way) with his knowledge of lyrics to 70s songs the rest of us have forgotten. Plus, I really do love music, too - knowing that I can never compare passion-wise to my husband, of course - and Matt occasionally looks at the books I've placed on shelves all over our house. And he passionately supports the fact that I like to read and write. Ah, and he can read (college degree and all). I'm just teasing, but he really does only read a few books a year and sometimes I read a few books a week, so we laugh about the contrast.

Anyway, I figured that telling you about the books on my nightstand might be fun from time-to-time, but quickly came to the realization that this meant coming clean about a secret that few of my friends or family know about me. Can I do it? Will I be able to face my fellow English-major brother again? Yes, I think the time has come to come clean: I love to read romance novels.

(Here comes the defensive part...) This is no way detracts from my love of classic literature, poetry that doesn't rhyme, or literary non-fiction. My reading tastes are broad and I'm typically reading a few different things at the same time (thus the pile on the nightstand), but there is nothing like a good romance when I'm looking for something that doesn't make me think, that I can finish in a day or two, and that provides a happy ending that makes me smile. I'm a romantic at heart (just ask Matt) and this is my outlet for that.

Anyway, I shouldn't say that I read "romance novels" in such a generic way. I'm actually quite particular about the kind of romances I read. Usually they are Regency novels (set in England during the early 1800s) a la Jane Austen (yes, now it's all making sense!) and are written by particular writers that I can count on for a good plot, character development, and some humor. Every once in a while I'll stray away from that if I find a really good author, but I'm really just trying to find another Mr. Darcy to daydream about. Don't worry, Matt isn't threatened by my love for a fictional character. :-)

So, mock me if you will, but I feel good about this confession. Now to the business at hand. Here's what's on my nightstand:

- Don't Know Much About History...Everything You Need to Know About American History But Never Learned by Kenneth C. Davis: One of the things I loved about studying literature in college (and still enjoy about reading it) is that it provides a way to learn about the history of the time in which it was written (or about which is being written). This is a really approachable history book written in an entertaining, almost funny way.

- Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier: A classic gothic novel published in the late 1930s, this is part ghost story, part romance. I've just started but I really like it so far.

- The Duke and I by Julia Quinn: Thus the reason for my confession. I LOVE Julia Quinn novels. Witty dialogue, believable characters, and interesting love stories. This book is the first in the Bridgerton Family Series, a collection of books about eight brothers and sisters and their journeys to true love. These are books that I will read and re-read. Try it, you might like it!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a coincidence, I was just digging through my closet and found the "Don't Know Much About History" book. I had purchased it a few years ago because I kinda forgot everything I had "learned"(more like memorized for the test on friday) about US History. I also thought that this book would be an entertaining way to re-learn my history. So, the book is now on my nightstand...but I haven't started reading it just yet. But you've given me some added motivation to start reading it....we can start to quiz each other.

Keep on blogging!

D~

NatMatt said...

What, the "Duke and I" isn't on your nightstand, too? haha

That's really cool, though. It really is very readable, which many history texts aren't. Your motivation in reading it is exactly the same as mine. I've already learned (or remembered) a lot in the first chapter!

Anonymous said...

What about this Darcy obsession? Do you have any advice for husbands whose wives are in love with this tight-pants-wearing-flower-bearing jerk?

Barber

PS It's been at least 10 years since I read Pride and Prejudice and have no idea if Darcy actually brought flowers.

NatMatt said...

Ah, Barber, now you've done it. That's quite a can of worms you've opened there. I believe that I will save my full response for a future blog post, but:

a - there was no flower-bearing
b - he did wear tight pants
c - he's not really a jerk, just misunderstood

More to come....
Natalie

Unknown said...

This is not an unsolicited plug for the company that I'm currently consulting with...it's actually something you might like! You can add your own commentary and insights to this Wiki on Pride & Prejudice.

Check it out:
http://humanscience.wikia.com/wiki/Characters_in_Pride_and_Prejudice

(Wikia is a branch of Wikipedia and is an open source content provider)

Anonymous said...

From one romance book junky to another, I had to leave my suggestion for the best romance novel EVER written (next to P&P of course). "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers. All her books are good, but this one is by FAR the best!! If you haven't yet, you absolutely MUST read it. Michael Hosea just might make decent competition for Mr. Darcy :)

NatMatt said...

I have, in fact, read "Redeeming Love" and it was as wonderful as you describe. A great love story and combined with an amazing message about the transforming power of God's unfailing love for us. All done in a non-cheesy, realistic way. I tend to be disappointed with much of Christian fiction, but I think Francine Rivers is fantastic.