Wednesday, November 5, 2008

An Irish prayer for tomorrow morning

This Irish prayer is attributed to Saint Patrick and often referred to as the "breastplate" of St. Patrick, i.e. words that shield. May Christ protect you today and be your strength. -Natalie


I arise today
Through the strength of heaven;

Light of the sun,
Splendor of fire,
Swiftness of wind,

Depth of the sea,
Stability of earth,
Firmness of rock.

I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's hand to guard me.

Afar and anear,
Alone or in a multitude.

Christ shield me today
Against wounding:

Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,

Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,

Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ in me.

I arise today
Through the mighty strength
Of the Lord of Creation.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'm so excited to find your blog! I'm adding you to my blog roll right away!! :)

NatMatt said...

Oh, I'm so glad! And I have enjoyed your blog, Lindsay. I'll add yours to my list, too!