Friday, November 30, 2007

Quiet

It is a beautiful rainy morning here in Arizona. My roses are blooming and "Bennett's Garden" is doing well. I'm not having a panic attack or feeling particularly down. The kids are both at school. There's a slight lull in my work (although I do have a couple of calls to make but I'm ignoring them for now). It's quiet.

I've learned to appreciate quiet, maybe because it's so rare in our busy household. So I'm just sitting here listening to Bella's gentle breathing. The breathy buzz of the computer. The occasional drip of the toilet in the hall bathroom. My own fingers tapping on the keyboard. And nothing else.

I know the noise is coming, but this moment is good and I savor it like I would biting into a chocolate brownie or being in the presence of a Renoir or reading a poem by William Stafford. Or even a long hug from one of those noisy boys.

2 comments:

Mateo "El" Barbero said...

It's been my goal, these past several months, to learn to enjoy the silence - and in fact, seek it.

Haven't been as successful as I'd hoped, but it's nice to be aware of those quiet moments and not run to fill them with unnecessary distractions.

I applaud you.

Clap.

Susan G said...

That is awesome! I can't remember the last time my house was quite!! Miss ya!
Susan Green!